Freitag, 15. November 2013

I ♥ EPP

EDIT: Ok, eigentlich ist das kein echtes was-ich-an-diesem-Freitag-fertigstellte Posting, denn ich war/bin diese Woche krank und fühl(t)e mich noch immer nicht nach nähen, aaaber ich hatte letzte Woche eine Polstervorderseite fertiggestellt und vergessen, diesen schon vorbereiteten Post zu veröffentlichen.
Ok this is not a real what-I-finished-this-friday post because I have been sick this week and I didn´t feel like sewing (I still don´t feel like sewing and start to loath herbal tea, ack.) But I finished a pillow top last week and forgot to post it.


Wisst ihr, was ich so sehr am English Paper Piecing (dem Nähen über Papier) mag? Es lässt sich praktisch überall hin mitnehmen.Im Moment nähe und quilte ich fast ausschließlich mit der Hand, meist abends für etwa eine halbe Stunde und das unter Aufbietung sämtlicher multitasking Fähigkeiten. Daneben kann ich nämlich mit dem Mann des Hauses oder Familienangehörigen reden, Musik hören, Tee trinken oder The Big Bang Theory auf DVD auswendig lernen. Denn noch extra ins Nähzimmer gehen und die Nähmaschine anwerfen, uffz, dafür war ich derzeit meist zu müde.
Do you know why I looove english paper piecing? Because it is a much more portable craft than machine sewing. Just what I needed this past weeks. So for the last weeks I worked on and off on this little project.  It´s a small project  that I might even be able to finish before Christmas. You see that I chose all those pretty reds = Christmas colors for me. Well, one has to have goals, right? At the moment I am mostly sewing and quilting small projects by hand. EPP is pretty effortless so sewing can be done in the evenings while talking to family members, discussing the day with the man of the house on the sofa, drinking tea, listening to music or watching The Big Bang Theory on dvd  learning all the dialogues from TBBT by heart . Yay for multitasking - and Sheldon! I felt much too tired to get myself to the sewing room and switch on the sewing machine in the evenings. There is just too little energy and light in the evenings these days (I´m looking at you daylight saving time!). So EPP it is.


Das Muster ist aus dem Buch "Quilting on the Go" von  Jessica Alexandrakis, das ich mir im Sommer zum Geburtstag gewünscht hatte.
I found this pattern in the book "Quilting on the Go" by  Jessica Alexandrakis. I had asked for this book for my birthday in summer. While I´ve done a lot EPP myself before after learning how to do it by using tutorials that can be found on the internet I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to start this craft or is already in love with EPP. There are many ideas for EPP projects and it´s simply eye candy for  quilters. Jessica has a different way to baste her EPP pieces to paper than I do.  I prefer mine without saying it´s better, still it is interesting to see different techniques. Just one note: the book gives lots of pattern ideas but not all templates are included to work right away. So either you purchase ready made EPP templates or you need a copier to enlarge the patterns in the book and cut them yourself or you need some very basic knowledge of geometry and a protractor/ruler to make your own.


Die Schablonen habe ich aus kariertem Papier selbst zugeschnitten. Es sind einfach gleichseitige Dreiecke mit 5cm Seitenlänge und Quadrate. Ganz einfach.:)
I chose the last option and drew some equilateral triangles with 5 cm side length and squares, also with 5 cm side length, on graph paper. Easy. :)

 
Beim Quilten arbeite ich sonst immer in inch. Hier sind die Schablonen ausnahmsweise in cm, weil ich einfach nur ein cm-Geodreieck zuhause hatte und weil die Nahtzugabe beim EPP nicht wichtig ist. Man näht ohnehin Kante an Kante zusammen. 
So sieht die Rückseite aus, bevor ich das Papier entfernt wurde:
Usually I prefer to measure in inch when I´m quilting which is easier to get the exact seam allowance at a scant quarter inch than at 6.35 millimeter... but I just had a metric protractor at hand and seam allowances are not important when you are sewing EPP because you sew edge to edge.
That´s how the back looked like before I removed the paper templates:


die zusammengeheftete Quiltvorderseite
the basted quilttop:

Nach dem Quilten per Hand:
Jetzt muss ich es nur noch bügeln und die Polsterrückseite annähen.
After handquilting:
Now I just have to iron it again and sew the pillowback in place (and insert a pillow form :) of course).


Aber erst wenn ich wieder senkrecht bin. Habt ein schönes Wochenende!
Have a great weekend! I´m back to my herbal tea ;)

Kommentare:

  1. I love it! Thank you so much for writing a detailed post of your process, and for saying kind things about the book. I'm glad you liked it.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank you, you´re so kind!

    * Maybe I should add that this wasn´t a sponsored post. I like to keep this little blog add free for now and like to buy my own stuff (or receive it as a present by the man or family members) and if I like it I post it here and tell you all about it :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Das ist ja ein entzückendes Muster,ich näh ja auch gerne EPP weil es so gesellig ist bis jetzt aber immer Hexagone.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. As soon as I saw your stars, I looked up the book on Amazon:) I don't think PPing is for me, right now anyway.

    I like how you showed the back of the piece. This is going to be a lovely pillow. You have quite a beautiful collection now!

    AntwortenLöschen

Ich freue mich über Eure Kommentare!
I love to read your comments!